What is “43”? It refers to Canada's laws allowing parents to use non-abusive force in child-rearing, inclusive of moderate disciplinary spanking. The loosely-worded Section 43 of the Criminal Code was explicitly defined by the Supreme Court's rulings in 2004. These provided common-sense, evidence-based objective tests clearly delineating constructive physical discipline (moderate spanking) vs. harsh or abusive force.
Keep 43 is a nonpartisan, research-based organization in collaboration with world-renown family & parenting experts, child psychologists, child welfare workers, educators, medical & mental health practitioners and Childrens' Rights & Protection Groups. We are not affiliated with any political or religious entity or philosophy.
There is nothing more important for society than raising children to become loving, productive, and well-adjusted adults.
Today, a confusing array of inferior parenting ideologies are espoused which undermine time-tested and effective parenting methods. Some are even going so far as to persuade Parliament to criminalize the 82% of parents who use minor physical force in disciplining their children lovingly, effectively & responsibly.
Our mission is to:
(1) promote the facts about time-tested traditional parenting methods which employ constructive physical discipline, and;
(2) to raise awareness of the spectrum of serious harms "spanking bans" persistently inflict on children, families and society.
Fourty years of clinical research consistently shows that children raised with "traditional", or "loving and firmly guiding" styles, which employ moderate and occasional spanking to enforce limits in a loving environment show consistently better developmental outcomes while experiencing no identifiable harms: These children exhibit better outlooks, behaviour, performance at school, more emotional / psychological resilience, are less out-of control, less violent, and are more inclined to want children and family of their own.
There is NO research which shows spanking, in the limited fashion allowable under Canadian law produces any negative effect. None - it doesn't exist. Just as 30 years of advocacy research "proved" tobacco causes no harms, the same tactics produce an enormous volume of propaganda masquerading as science to denigrate traditional parenting.
The evidence is now overwhelming: Wherever non-abusive spanking is banned, and the longer it has been banned, the following harms are persistently observed:
(1) Increased rates of serious assaults on children: There are four reasons why serious
child abuse increases substantially under spanking bans,
(2) Increased child & youth violence rates,
(3) Increased bullying / violence at school,
(4) Increased CAS/CPS seizures of children from safe & loving homes, which facilitates
increased trafficking (or sale) into the foster-care & adoption industry,
(5) Increased criminal prosecution of good parents, which facilitates parental
alienation (another form of child abuse) and serious developmental problems from
children raised in loveless homes,
(6) Increased mental health, behavioral & emotional disorders requiring medication or
(7) Increased substance abuse & drug-induced death rates,
(8) The dissolution of the "Rule of Law" which manifests in such measures as increased
child rape rates,
(9) Criminalization of parenting is one material factor deterring childbirths and
collapsing societal fertility rates to extinction levels.
Keep 43 believes these are not Canadian values, and that we should minimize these harms on Canadian society. Thus, we defend the most balanced laws on the planet that do exactly that. We work to ensure children keep their rights to be raised in loving and firmly guiding parenting styles that scientifically produce the best developmental outcomes.
Harold A. Hoff
Chair / Child Protection Advocate & Researcher
Oppose Harmful Ideology / Protect Children & Family / Keep 43